June 8, 2010

Gardening

Two minutes after I finished planting my garden -- literally -- we had a hail storm. The rain came down in torrents with chunks of ice the size of giant marbles. I could have collected them and cooled a glass of iced tea. The chard and the beets look a little smashed, and some of the peppers, but I am optimistic that they will bounce back.

I garden for fun and because I love the feeling of wandering out to the back yard to see what I might have for supper. But I think of all those folks who grow things because they must, and I hope for them that the weather is fair and the growing season is long.

This year, the new thing I have planted is dinosaur kale. Even with its tiny leaves, it has a kind of prehistoric look. The beet greens are already red, the rainbow chard yellow, green and magenta. I have two colors of peppers, eggplant and heirloom tomatoes. And I am going to see if it is possible to grow okra north of the Mason-Dixon line. I'll keep you posted!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I enjoy the same feeling wandering around the backyard every afternoon looking at the flowers and plants wondering what new things God has given us to enjoy. I also like reading your thoughts!

Rebecca Ramsey said...

I love my garden for the very same reason--and it feels good to be in touch (literally) with God's earth.:)

Dinosaur kale sounds fascinating. I'm going to look it up.
Good luck with the okra!
I enjoyed my visit to your blog. I'm sure I'll be back!