January 31, 2012

Sage Advice

The meteorologists and scientists tell us that we are experiencing climate change. It is hard to discount their advice this year: the temperature tomorrow is forecast to be in the 60's -- this, the first day of February in Connecticut. We are cooking our climate, and the effects are one year of unbelievable snowfall followed by this year of June-uary.
This weekend I made pesto with sage that I picked that day from my kitchen garden. I still have collards and kale growing. My garlic is coming up. The vegetables do not know that it is winter. they are growing and flourishing in this odd New England January. And I am eating pesto fresh from my own garden in a time when all should be covered in a deep blanket of snow.

P.S. The pesto was wonderful and I made fresh pasta to go with it.

No comments: