November 11, 2018

Following the recipe.....

I love to cook and enjoy experimenting with new recipes.  If I’m thinking of cooking something I’ve found on-line, I often read the comments. Some of them are very helpful, but others are astounding, even nervy! For example, I read comments like these for a recipe I recently tried: 

“I don’t like fish sauce; can I use Worcestershire and soy instead? But will soy add too much salt?”
“Would this work with fish instead of pork?”
“I don’t want to cook this if it smells up my house.”
“This seems like a lot of work.  Can I skip the step of sautéing the veggies?”

And then the perfect comment – a reply to some like those I’ve mentioned:  “Just make a different recipe. If you don’t want to do all this, you aren’t really ready to cook this.”

Some folks seem to approach their faith this way:
“I don’t like that commandment.  Can I do this instead?”  
“Would it work to worship at the golf course instead of at church?  Can’t I get close to God in nature?”
“Will this affect how I live?  Will it sometimes be unpleasant?”
“This seems like a lot of work.  I don’t want to have to do stuff when I come to church.  Can’t I just sit in the pew and skip all that?”

And so the answer to all this is similar to the reply to those posting on the recipe site: If folks aren’t willing to do what it takes, then they probably aren’t ready to be real Christians.  Not to be too harsh, but maybe they should decide if this calling is really for them.  Maybe they should just take it easy and order the religious equivalent of takeout -- no effort, no fuss, no investment.  

Unless we are willing to follow the directions (given to us in the Bible and the lives of the faithful), and follow the Christ, we won't be able to “taste and see that the Lord is good.”  

I made the dish, by the directions in the recipe, and it was pretty good!




No comments: