July 14, 2021

More on Brooding

Miss Evelyn Glisson lived in a little house near our church.  She was the teacher of the Primary Sunday School class, which was first and second graders as I recall. Although it has been a very long time, I still remember one of the songs she taught us:

Over the ground is a mat of green;

Over the green, the dew;

Over the dew are the arching trees;

Over the trees, the blue.

Dotting the blue are the scudding clouds.

Over the clouds, the sun.

Over the sun is the love of God,

Brooding us every one.

 

I’ve never heard that song anywhere else, and I don’t know where she learned it.  I could remember the words because of the layered picture of creation.  And I love the hierarchy of love that it describes.    

 

Our Sunday School teacher had no children of her own, but I suppose we were her little brood.  And all those years ago, she taught us that we were God’s little brood, as well.  Thank you, Miss Glisson!

No comments: