July 22, 2021

Bounty!

Send out your bread upon the waters, 
for after many days you will get it back. 
Ecclesiastes 11:1 

My Daddy was a farmer. He loved the land; he loved growing things; he loved his neighbors. And few things made him happier than giving away his crops. He planted and watered and worried over his corn so he could give it away to others. He opened his field of peas to anyone who wanted to pick them. In his last years, the whole point of his farming was to share with others. 

And I am the recipient of his generosity. Almost every week this summer, one friend or another has arrived on my doorstep with something from their gardens: blueberries, blackberries, corn, squash, cucumbers, cantaloupe, watermelon, okra. We have had more than enough, and I have made jelly and jam and pickles. Now when someone arrives with bounty to share, I can share, too. Daddy cast his corn upon the neighbors, and after not so many days, it has come back to us!

No comments: