February 22, 2023

Ash Wednesday

This is my land that I hold in my hand. 
But not mine – rather all who came before – 
 known to me and natives here eons ago. 

And not mine but all who come after – 
unknown to me – 
 ones I cannot instruct or control who will do as they will with this dirt, this place. 

May it grow food and flowers for them; 
 ground them in grass wet with dew; 
 harbor earthworms; 
 hatch dragonflies; 
 form a basin for puddles when it rains a century from now. 

May it form a basin for me, 
when I lay down my ashes, 
 when I live out the prophecy of ashes to ashes, dust to dust. 

May I become one with this land, this earth, this dirt. 

May my soul, spirit, dirt 
nourish generations to come, 
those I do not know and never will. 

And yet they will know me 
and they will hold me in their hand. 

I will be part of the land – theirs and mine.

 

No comments: